Sunday, December 28, 2008

Not Quite Global Finance

Some years ago I was frequently hosting in my office a representative of one of the largest textbook publishers. The guy is no longer with this company and, yet, he felt compelled to write me for advice regarding the situation in capital markets. Here is his message:


It has been a long time. I hope you and your loved ones are doing well. I was just contemplating the repercussions of an over supply of T bills and thought you might explain what the treasury and fed can do to counter this serious problem. I thought at first the fed could print more money which may result later in hyper inflation, but I still need your opinion. Please see the Bloomberg article below:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aiw3cE2FfsLU&refer=home


Thanks for taking the time to respond.


Following is my response:
Hi:
Good hearing from you. I believe the Treasury is in a bind. Currently, it is able to sell a bunch of T-bills because of the flight-to-safety effect; investors, motivated by anxiety regarding capital markets, are more than glad to lend their money to the Treasury at practically zero interest. Should the Treasury be successful in comforting investors, interest rates will go up as they will require higher rates. At some point, to avoid too high of interest rates, the Fed will have to interfere by printing money. High inflation might follow. I was aware of this possibility in September when I moved a bunch of money into TIPS (Treasury Inflation Protected Securities) and promptly lost 7%.Markets' fear of deflation pushed down the value of such inflation-linked securities (they pay less interest when the CPI declines though their face value cannot sink below 100%). Markets have reversed themselves to a large extent. My current loss on such TIPS has declined to just 1.2%.
At my stage of life, my goal is to guard the purchasing power of my savings. I was not hyperventilating over the 7% loss because, had deflation taken place, my consumption would have cost less. In this sense, I was hedged. Since you are far from retirement and you might need the money for your daughters' education, I am not sure that long-term TIPS are for you. You may want to consider I-Bond sold directly to the public by the Federal Reserve Bank (of Richmond, given your Roanoke domicile). I believe that currently, you can do so up to $10,000 per year (down from $30,000 a couple of years ago). Your wife can purchase a similar amount.

I Hope all is well with you.

Happy New Year.


A concluding remark: my students too are invited to write me in the future when they encounter a work or personal life financial dilemmas. I am proud for granting my students five-year warranty on they finance education.

No comments: